The word “thank you” sounds like music to my ears. The gratitude shown by other people, especially by kids, can easily make me happy. It is because children take some time to thank someone by heart.
Gratitude is important to feel happiness, love, and contentment. We should nurture the future generation and educate them on the things that can teach these tiny ones on how to be an appreciative person as early as today.
Here are my suggestions:
- Friendship. Introduce to your child a new friend of the same age who can be the daughter of your neighbor or a son of your coworker. Friends who can be a good example to your child will be the foundation of his gratitude and thoughtfulness. You can let your child bring extra cookies to share at lunchtime.
- Greeting Cards. One of the best ways to teach your children on how to express their feeling is through written words with the magical touch of art. Custom greeting cards can be used during the celebration of any occasion. Have fun doing this simple bond. Teach your child how to make a birthday card, Christmas card, thank you card, mother’s day card, father’s day card and so on. Not all children are as vocally expressive as the other. This is one way they can show their true feelings without hesitation.
- School teachers. When your child started proper schooling, he/she will spend most of their time with teachers. It is true that they get paid to teach, but their job is as tough as being a full time-mom. This profession is often not appreciated by many people. Teachers are the second parents to your child. Show your child while you build the parents and teachers relationship so that they can learn how to appreciate and be grateful of their instructors. Encourage them to write a thank you note for their teacher, remember them during holidays by giving inexpensive gifts like homemade cookies, and most importantly love their teacher as they love their parents.
- Non-academic trainers. Well, most of the children nowadays are supported by their parents to enter a training school to nurture the talents that they have. Yes, most of these extra-curricular activities are offered as private lessons. They can be a piano tutor, basketball coach, swimming coach, vocal coach, and church leader and so on. Even though their services are paid and are non-meant for voluntary lessons, teach your child how to be thankful for their efforts just to help them improve as a person. Showing a simple gratitude by saying “thank you” will mean a lot to them.
- Simple workers. In our society, we cannot live our lives to the fullest without the help of minimum wage workers who usually work by heart. You should teach your child the importance of these peoples’ jobs. Your kids are supposed to thank the school bus driver every day he/she drop them at school or home. Your kids should learn to say thank you to the garbage collectors who regularly clean your bin. Your kids should learn to thank a fast food crew who prepares your meal. Explain to your child how important it is for these persons to be appreciated.
- Baking time. Children would always love to help you bake their favorite chocolate chip cookies, of course with a little bit mess. Yeah, it is sometimes scary to let them crack the egg on the bowl but it will sometimes end up jiggling on the floor. My dear, please bear with this innocent little munchkin. Instead, focus on how you can teach them to appreciate every meal that you serve or someone will serve. Once in a while let them watch and help you a bit while cooking some of the recipes that kids enjoy. Make them realize that preparing any food is not easy at all. Learning not to be a picky-eater should follow after this.
- Movies. Watching movies with moral lessons for kids can help them appreciate the kind of lifestyle that they have or be inspired to pursue their dreams while seeing the good in everything that happens. Just make sure to pick those movies suited for their mental age. If it is for general viewer they can watch on their own. But if parental guidance is advised it is better to stop what you are doing and sit with them while relating the scenes of the story in the real world. messy
Children are like seedlings. We need to nourish them so that they can be a good person in the future. We might need material things to continuity living but every day is not all about money. There are so many things that the kids will face when they started growing. Teaching them kindness, gratitude, and other core values will make them grow as a sturdy bamboo tree which can go along will the strongest winds that they might encounter.